Today I would like to do a Tutorial on How To Link Your Domain .my to WordPress Blog.
This tutorial is useful particularly when you just bought a new domain.my from myNIC during a promotion and want to link it to one of your wordpress blog.
In my experience, linking common domain such as .com .net or .org is easy compare to .my. It is because myNIC is giving you a hard time to configure their setting to change a nameserver.
There are 3 Steps to link domain .my to your WordPress blog :
- Addon domain to your cpanel hosting
- Identify your hosting nameserver
- Modify nameserver at myNIC
1. Addon Domains on Your Hosting Cpanel
The reason I want to addon domains is because I already have a domain and hosting, lankapo.com. So I just want to link my new domain .my that I got free to my lankapo.com hosting.
This will save money because I don’t have to buy a new hosting to link my new .my domain.
In case you still don’t have a hosting, I would like to recommend ServerFreak, been a loyal customer for 6 years now. If you have a hosting only and want to dedicate to your new domain .my, you can proceed to step 2.
How to Addon Domains on your Hosting cpanel :
a. Login to your hosting cpanel
b. Go to Domains, Addon Domains
c. Add your new domain.my like below
2. Identify your Hosting Nameserver
You can check your hosting nameserver at www.ip-adress.com. In my example, I want to link my visitturkey.my to my lankapo.com/visitturkey.my. So I need to find nameserver for my lankapo.com. So I need to enter lankapo.com on search box in www.ip-adress.com.
Find your nameserver and save it on a notepad. Below is an example of my nameserver.
Second option, you can also get information about your nameserver from your hosting provider. Just write a support email to them. My Serverfreak replied my support email even at 3 am.
3. Modify Nameserver at myNIC
This is the tricky part, there are a few steps that you need to take before you can change myNIC nameserver to your domain nameserver.
- So you need to login to myNIC and select Domain Name, go to Modify Domain (Remember to find your contact code in myNIC email during registration. You need it to login to myNIC system)
- Search your domain.my and select it
- From the drop down menu, tick Appoint a New Technical Contact as picture below.
- Key in your contact code and click search icon. A list will appear, click your name and select button.
- Next you will get a confirmation email, stated that you have been appointed as a New Technical Contact for your domain.
b. Modify Namerserver myNIC
To modify the nameserver, go to menu select again Modify Domain, Search your domain and make sure there is a green box on Technical Column like picture below.
- If not, you have to redo step a above.
- After you select your domain with Technical Contact checked, a new menu will appear, Modify Name Servers will appear like below.
- Tick Modify Name Servers and select Add / Remove / Change Name Server.
- An email will be send to you to confirm that change have been made to your myNIC domain nameserver.