Google Mobile Friendly Site
There are a few reasons why Google decides to tag website to be mobile friendly or not. Nowadays, smart phone, phablet , tab and iPad are getting faster and have so many apps. So, user love to search any information on their smart phone or tab.
Unfortunately, a lot of user have to scroll wide to see the content and links are too close to each other with websites that are not mobile friendly. So Google decided to punish website that are not mobile friendly. Punish is a quite a harsh word, but Google now started to value more website that is more mobile friendly. So website that is not friendly with mobile display will be demoted.
Plus, by being mobile friendly, Adsense links can be displayed more properly and can boost site owner and Google Income. That is might be second reason.
I believe this is a Win-Win situation for site owner and Google. We just have to please the user.
My website initially failed Google Mobile Test due to :
- Content wider than screen
- Links so close together
- Uses incompatible plugins
So I did some research on how to ensure my site is Google Mobile friendly.
3 Tips to Ensure Your Site is Google Mobile Friendly
1 – First, you can follow what Google tell you to do. This to make sure GoogleBot will detect your site as mobile friendly.
- Avoids software that is not common on mobile devices, like Flash
- Uses text that is readable without zooming
- Sizes content to the screen so users don’t have to scroll horizontally or zoom
- Places links far enough apart so that the correct one can be easily tapped
After all steps are taken , please check and follow below steps.
- Check your pages with the Mobile-Friendly Test
- Read our updated documentation on our Webmasters Mobile Guide on how to create and improve your mobile site
- See the Mobile usability report in Google Webmaster Tools, which highlights major mobile usability issues across your entire site, not just one page
- Check our how-to guide for third-party software like WordPress or Joomla, in order to migrate your website hosted on a CMS (Content Management System) to use a mobile-friendly template.
2. Use responsive layout. If you use blogspot , here is a lot of responsive layout that you cab use to ensure your site is mobile friendly. You can check here for Free Responsive Blogger Template.
My blogspot, lankapo79.com is mobile friendly with responsive blogger template.
For WordPress, you can find a lot of free responsive themes on WordPress Theme browser.
3. Use WPtouch Mobile Plugin that will create a slick mobile WordPress website with just a few clicks.
Having said that, some plugin as Jetpack is not compatible for Google Mobile test. That is why my site lankapo.com failed the test even though i use responsive theme.
WPtouch is a mobile plugin for WordPress that automatically enables a simple and elegant mobile theme for mobile visitors of your WordPress website.
The administration panel allows you to customize many aspects of its appearance, and deliver a fast, user-friendly and stylish version of your site to your mobile visitors, without modifying a single bit of code (or affecting) your regular desktop theme.
By using WPTouch Mobile Plugin, it will ensure your website pass the Google Mobile Test. Below is how my site look like when using Wp Touch Mobile plugin on Samsung Note 2.
Good Luck with your website!