Have you ever tried to poke in your neighbor’s WiFi networks ? Especially the one with insecure network..
It seems that more and more home users are going with wireless networks rather than the tradition wired networks with wires hanging everywhere and running wild around the house and in the crawlspace. What seems like a good idea quickly turns into a nightmare if you don’t vamp up the security of your wireless network.
Speed is of the essence. Typically, one thing matters to new users of wireless, getting connected and browsing that first website. While wireless connectivity can accomplish this, it’s best to set up your wireless connection securely before venturing out into cyberspace.
Below are some tips to help secure your wireless network:
Change the default admin password. Admin passwords are easily figured out by attackers when they are left as the default. Not changing your wireless admin password opens your network to attack and can lead to many problems depending on the attacker’s agenda. As for TMNET Streamyx for example, the usual password they will give are TMM 123, tmnet 123, or TMMM123 so it’s really crucial for you to change it after setup the network.
Last week I bought a new Wireless Broadband Router after finally fixing my Streamyx connection problem. It cost me around RM 145.Since I always try to hack my neighbor wireless network (which I always failed ) : ) so I think it’s better for me to get my own.
key features :
Up to 54 Mbps Wireless data rate
Up to 3x eXtended Range™ support to boost your Wireless network range to up to 200 meters (indoors) or 800meters (outdoors).
eXtended Range™ feature interoperable with other 3rd party devices
Compatible with IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.11b, IEEE802.3, IEEE802.3u standards
Increased signal sensitivity for better Throughput.
Increased security with WPA/WPA2 and WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK authentication and TKIP/AES encryption security
Built-in firewall supporting IP address filtering, Domain Name,filtering, and MAC address filtering
Integrated 4-port 10/100 Mbps Auto MDI-MDIX switch and detachable antenna
UPnP, Dynamic DNS, Static Routing, and VPN pass-through support
User-friendly Web browser-based configuration
Installation : easy start guide
- Connect your laptop to your Aztech router using Ethernet Cable
- Make sure your modem is connected to your router usually blue LAN cable from modem to WAN scoket.
- Make sure your laptop/pc detect the Wireless Broadband Router. Please check your computer network. Your network must establish connection now.
- Open your internet browser and type 192.168.1.1 to login to Aztech Web Manager (Make sure you secure a connection LAN with your Router)
- Select dynamic ip and put your Streamyx log in id (must be username@ streamyx only without .com) and password
How to secure your wireless home network ? This is important to protect your wireless network from intruders or hackers.
- select wireless menu setup
- change SSID
- apply security by selecting WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
- ENTER a PSK passphrase with a combination of number and letter
- click save
- WALA your connection is ON
official site : aztech wireless broadband