Vista is Full of BS!…
I thought by operating in Vista , I can use all latest software and can update from Microsoft. Remember my slogan : Update, Hi Tech, Sosphiscated. 🙂 Just kidding
Well, problem arise when my principle asked me to install XP because their software is not compatible with Vista. I need the software to test and to check all vessel equipment to interface with our hardware.
In fact, my principle from France keep saying Vista is BS haha. I have to admit that Vista security is quite annoying and Vista theme tend to make your PC hang.
So I started to Google for how to create dual booting system in my Dell Inspiron. Remember, Internet is the best teacher. Anyway I took 3 days to install XP on my preinstalled Vista. With lack of sleep and food haha.
It’s not that hard, it just messy. You have to know the right step. I need my Vista because it is original software and need the update.That’s all. I don’t want to rely only on one OS and pirate hehe.
1. Get yourself a Windows XP that boot from CD
2. Software to create dual booting from both XP and Vista.”VistaBootPro”
3. Recovery CD drivers for hardware and device on your laptop
3. Your laptop of course, well mine is DELL Inspiron 1420
Install Windows XP
1. You have to create partition in your hard drive . The easiest way is to use Shrink Volume feature in Vista. So you can create and format the new partition.
Where to find the Shrink tools ? Just open the computer management panel or under Administrative tools or just right click the computer icon on the start menu and choose manage.
Click the Disk Management item on the list.
You will see your hardisk drive and recovery partition. In my case for DELL laptop, the hard disk is divided into 4 partition. The problem is that Vista only allow 4 partition. So I have to delete one partition.
Choose your main hard disk, and click right to choose Shrink Volume.
What ever you do, just don’t choose default value for shrink, in my case I only use 12 Gig just enough.
2. To make our reformat and configure the hard disk drive more efficiently, I would like to advise to change the Drive Letter.
Change the drive letter for your optical drive from D to E. If you have already Recovery partition, then just change your CD drive to F. So that your new XP partition will take the letter D or E. Just make sure you know what is the letter assign for your new XP partition. That’s all.
After you create the new partition, click the New Simple Volume to format the storage to NTFS. Just follow the wizard and remember your assign drive letter.After than REBOOT!
3. After restart, you can rename your new drive to XP and main drive to Vista. So that you can distinguish clearly in DOS environment.
So now you are ready to boot your laptop from XP cd. But first you have to disable your SATA drive in your BIOS setting. This step is important to enable your computer to recognise all the drives.
Then insert your XP Bootable CD and restart your laptop. Press F 12 to choose boot from CD (depend on your laptop configuration,on which button to press to configure boot setting). (more…)