Believe it or not, even smart highly educated can be tricked into this phone scam.
The fraudster can be so calm and professional thus make you believe that he is from the bank.
He/She will create an emergency situation regarding your bank account. It can be anything. From to confirm a credit card transaction that was charged to your card. Or someone just called to confirm that you have apply for new credit card. If you deny it, the fraudster will give a fake number of Bank Negara for you to call.
The complice from Bank Negara will ask for your confidential information and bank details.
If you are panic and in a hurry you might fall to this trap. So please be very careful whenever you received a call from a bank.
How to Identify Telephone Scams Call
When you hear this any of this 6 statement. Then you better be careful.
- “Give your username, ATM card number in order for us to investigate your account”
- “Do not check your account and tell anyone for at least 3 days”
- “Kindly call this number to speak to the Bank Negara Officer”
- “Change your TAC mobile number at ATM”
- “You have a pending credit card payment”
- “Someone is using your info to apply for a credit card”
What you should do if you received a scam call?
- DO NOT reveal your credit/debit card details or online banking details
- DO NOT respond to any sms that claiming it’s coming from Bank Negara. Bank Negara officer will never call you to ask for your credit/debit card or banking particulars.
- DO NOT follow any instruction
- PLEASE CALL BANK CALL CENTER
- MAYBANK – 1300-88-66-88 immediately
CIMB – +603 6204 7788